USPS Does Home Pickups!
So this may be common knowledge to some people, but it was a game changer for me when I found out! Since I’ve started staying at home with Adeline, getting to the post office has become such a chore. I used to have a mailroom at my office, so dropping off a package I needed to put in the mail was no big deal. Insert a baby into the picture, and packages (namely returns) were sitting in my kitchen for way too long!
You can hop onto usps.com to schedule a pickup right off your front porch. You do need to have a prepaid shipping label (which you will usually get when returning an item).
Here are screenshots of how to set it up!
- First go to the “quick tools” tab and click “schedule a pickup”.
- Fill out your information, including your address to make sure you are on their route. *I really like that you don’t have to set up an account to use this service.*
- Click the “check availability” button at the bottom.
- Choose where your package will be (ex: front door).
- Pick when it should be picked up (I always choose during regular mail delivery – it’s FREE!
- Choose the date you’d like it picked up. I am usually able to choose the very next day.
- Choose how many items and what kind of mail they are. Notice there is a “returns” field.
- Estimate the total weight. I pretty much completely guess on this one.
You will get a confirmation email that your pickup has been scheduled and then another one once the package is picked up. It’s a really great service that I highly recommend using!
Let me know if you try it out and what you think!
Another one of my favorite pick up services is provided by the Salvation Army. Read more about it here.