I really wanted to gift my parents something special this year, and we decided on gifting them a family photo session so they could have some amazing memories with all of us. My mom decided on October, so it turned into a beautiful fall photoshoot and we were so happy with how to everything turned out.
Parents and grandparents can be hard to shop for. Honestly, I struggle every year on what to get my parents! I want to give them something thoughtful and unique, and also something I know they’ll really love.
Last year, Marcus and I gifted them a photo session with their grandchildren, and it turned out to be the best idea. I chose to use Jujuu Photography based on my experience working with her for my maternity photos. She had such great patience with Adeline during that session, so I knew she would be great with both of my littles this time around.
I wanted my parents to have some photos that captured them with my kids at the sweet ages they are right now (2.5 years old and 7 months). They turned out even better than I had hoped.
Because it was her gift, I let my mom choose the date, the location, and what the kids would wear. She chose October with hopes it would be cooler out and to shoot at both Pecan Park (a park down the street from their house in Sugar Land) and at her house. My mom also wanted me and Shannon and our husbands to hop in a couple photos. She chose denim outfits for the kids and asked us to wear complimentary colors.
Family Photo Tips
- If you are taking photos outdoors, try to pick a time of year that will be comfortable temperature-wise for the group. We waited until October, but unfortunately in Houston, TX, it was still warmer than we would have liked. Just keep temperature in mind when choosing the date!
- Do something! I feel like the best photos I have are those when we are in action. Walking, playing, laughing. Tickle your kiddos! I like the real moments (and real smiles) in the photos.
- Choose clothing that doesn’t confine you to a certain season. If you are specifically taking Christmas photos, then pull out the red and green! However, if you are looking for something to frame in your house, I recommend choosing attire that doesn’t look too wintery or summery.
- Stay away from wild patterns and being too matchy-matchy.
- Try and be patient, especially if you have kids in the group. They don’t always want to cooperate, but if you have a good photographer like Juliana, they will catch a couple priceless snapshots.
Why Jujuu Photography
For the second time, Juliana from Jujuu Photography has shown how truly talented she is in photographing my family. She is great with kids (a mother of three herself), very easy to communicate with and just an extremely kind person. Her prices are very reasonable, and her photographs are beautiful! I would recommend her again and again.
Thank you, Juliana. I will cherish these images for a lifetime, and I know my parents will too!